Saturday, January 7, 2012

& Watch For Ice

There is no snow here in Wisconsin (much to this winter lover's grief).  Occasional snows & rains in combination with bi-polar temperatures have, however, made ice the unwelcome replacement for the lack of snow.
I went on a run yesterday morning; prideful of myself for running in middle teens with a nippy windchill.  My mind was already forming a tweet to boast of my #beastmood
On my run, I came across a steep decline prominently covered in ice.  In my prideful swag that morning, I thought "If I just run straight across it, I won't slip & fall!"  I proceeded to run to the ice & with the first step on the patch, I slipped backwards, landed on my butt, & slid down the rest of the decline.

Looking back at this embarrassing event, I couldn't believe how arrogant I was in approaching the ice.  Surely there must be a moral to this story.
& then it hit me
"& Watch for Ice"
In life, it's easy to get cocky & lofty about one's self.  Accomplishments or good times raise our self-confidence.  Success is definitely great to obtain, but we must be conscious about being humble.  All too often, it takes an ice patch or an event to put us in our place; reminding us that there is still much to learn (even after we think we've learned it all).

I leave you with a nerdy quote from Star Wars (said by Count Dooku in the third movie, ftr)
"Twice the pride, double the fall."

Stay beautiful,
zach

No comments:

Post a Comment